Monday, February 28, 2011

Violin

Feb 26, 2011

So I bought an old violin.  I had always wanted one.  The good news is there are so many on the market I just had to wait until one popped up for a good price.  Well, one guy in New Port Richey was selling one for a hundred bucks.  It’s old and in bad shape so that’s why he had it marked down as low as he did.  He had gotten it along with a Telecaster when he traded with someone. 

The first thing I was concerned about is if it was a counterfeit.  But after I saw all the cracks, repairs, worn edges, and rosin buildup, it looked to be real.  So I took a chance on it.  The inside read:

Vuillaume a Paris, Rue Croix des Petits Champs 46

It is a copy of a Jean Baptiste Vuillaume.  There are about 35 or more manufactures that have used the Jean Baptiste name over the years.  This model was actually made in Dresden, Germany.  It is a factory made violin produced sometime during the years of 1880 and 1900. 

There is a repair mark inside the violin marked, Repaired in Albany, New York by W.C. Goomph, 1914. 

One on Ebay that was in good condition just sold for $1100, so I believe I got a fair deal on it.  It still needs a lot of work.  Namely, a soundpost, bridge, tuning holes filled and drilled, possiblely new tuners, and cracks repaired.  Oh, and new strings without question.

So I finally got my violin.  I am happy that I got one, but this needs a lot of work.  I hope I have enough time to repair in sometime in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment