Monday, February 28, 2011

Weak Tea

Jun 6, 2010

So it has finally happened.  The family curse of diabetes has caught up with me.  I thought it might happen eventually, but not this at this young of an age.  For ten days I had been feeling bad.  I had needles and pins though my whole body.  I was sleeping 12 hours a day.  Even when I was awake I felt like going back to sleep.  And then, when it was night time, I couldn’t get to sleep. 
So I cut out the sugar.  And then everything changed.  My energy was back.  My stamina was back to the way it was when I was 17 years old.  I felt tired at night, and I woke up eight hours later feeling fine.  For the last five days I have accomplished a lot of things.  One day I was on the move from 8am to 11pm. 
But I have to admit, as great as I feel, there is a dark side.  My addiction to caffeine and sugar has left me craving both.  I am now forced to drink weak tea.  No more cup and a half of sugar to put in it.  No more Coke or Dr. Pepper.  No more ice cream.  I can’t even think of touching any sort of alcohol.  I have to cut out all sugar, and I realize just how tough it is in this fast food nation. 
My body has been craving sugar like crazy.  I understand how addicts now feel.  Even though they feel better now than they ever did on drugs, they still crave them.  That’s how I feel.  It’s not logical, but it is true. 
I feel that I am a better person off the sugar.  My girlfriend Roxy (not her real name) likes me much better now that I am off the sugar.  I am able to do things with her, and get up at a reasonable hour.  I don’t have the mood swings that were occurring.  I know this will be a lifetime struggle, but I could think of worse things to have.  And at least they make Diet Dr. Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment