Monday, February 28, 2011

Dilemma

Nov 30, 2010

I face a certain dilemma.  I try to be a nice guy, and I try to help when I can.  Just the other day I helped a woman who had an epileptic seizure.  I believe in the Boy Scout motto, “Do a good turn daily.”  But I face a dilemma every day.  As a truck driver I have people asking for money at every single truck stop I go to.  The last guy who was asking for money said he was an Iraqi War vet.  But he got kind of aggressive with me, and I ended up slamming the truck door in his face and locking it.  Mainly for safety reasons.
 

There’s this perception that truck drivers make a lot of money.  That may have been true at one time, but pay is being slashed across the board.  A lot of companies have gone out of business the last two years due to the economy. 
 

The last two days at Wal-Mart I have had the same guy asking me for money.  That’s right, two days in a row.  The one thing he does is sneak up on me.  That really bothers me.  I usually have a sixth sense about people around me, but this guy has managed to sneak up on me twice. 
 

I realize that it is bad out there, but I am not doing so well myself.  My pay has been slashed for doing the same job.  In fact, I think I am actually working harder than I ever have. 
 

I don’t want to be rude, but some of these guys are getting pretty aggressive.  It’s also seems that at every single truck stop I get the same thing.  I can’t be the world’s savior.  I am barely getting by as it is. 
 

I don’t feel so bad about not giving them anything.  If I don’t have the money, I don’t have it.  What I hate is that I am having to be a real jerk to them because they don’t take no the first time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment