Monday, February 28, 2011

Methadone of the Diabetic

Jun 21, 2010

Current mood:contemplative
My name is Adrian, and I’m an addict.  I have been clean for three weeks.  My drug of choice is sugar.  Lots of sugar.  Dr. Pepper, sweet tea, Coca-cola, chocolate, cookies, and cake.  I love them all.  But there comes a time in a person’s life, where they have to make choices regarding their life.  My body can not handle sugar like it used too.  The diabetes that runs in my family has caught up with me. 
I am a much better and more active person off the sugar, but I still feel the withdraw of it.  I feel the addiction when I want an ice cold Coke while at dinner.  I miss the smell, taste, and wonder of ice cream.  I keep asking myself, “How I can drink tea without sugar?”  I haven’t felt this good since I was in college.  I haven’t had this much stamina since I was in high school.  I know this is all related to me giving up sugar.  But the end result is the same.  I am still addicted to it.  I still crave it.
I can’t give up sweetness in its entirety.  I have found a way to overcome it.  Equal, Sweet N’ Low, and Splenda are the methadone of the diabetics.  It’s true.  Now I can have my sweetness, and avoid the consequences of real sugar.  In a way I feel like I’m cheating.  I can’t give up sweetness, and this allows me to give into my sugary desires.  But the other side is that I am not eating sugar.  I was able to quit immediately, as in cold turkey.  I felt better in two days.  By the third day I was much more clear-headed, and able to do things.  I don’t know if I would have been able to do that without the fake stuff.
I realize that I am only three weeks sober, and this is a life long battle.  However, with the help of all the fake sugars I think I will be able to live a sugar free life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment