Monday, February 28, 2011

Divided Highway

Jan 1, 2011

So I’ve been on the road for a while driving my big rig across Americas' highways and byways.  It gives me a lot of time to think about various things in my life.  One of my major loves in this life is music.  Ever since I have been playing at Sacred Grounds Coffeehouse I have had this idea of putting together an Americana type music band called Possum Apple. 
I was driving out of a truck stop and saw a sign.  No really, I saw a sign.  It said Divided Highway.  It immediately hit me.  That’s going to be the name of Possum Apple’s first album.  I told my Dad about it, and he said he thought that Divided Highway was already taken as an album name.  He was right.  It’s the name of an album by the Doobie Brothers.  However, I feel that the name is right.  Especially since I am a truck driver, and I see Divided Highway signs quite a bit.  So I’ve decided that I am going to keep it as the name of the album, at least until I get sued by the Doobie Brothers.
I have a good friend in Shawn Kyle.  His band The Beauvilles are absolutely amazing.  He produced my first song Secret Path.  Once I get off the road I definitely want to work with him again to produce the rest of my songs. The good news is that I already have the album written.  I may not have music to all the songs, but I have an idea of where they should go.  Here’s the song list as it stands now.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Crevasses and Glaciers
Everyday People
Buffalo
Capri Pants
The Road (Get your beagle out the road)
The Bride Wore Sneakers
Dark Horizons
West Virginia Blues
Secret Path
I have three songs that I also hope will make the album but need more work.
Magnolia
Outta Here
Pale Horse
So I feel good about it.  It reminds me of an old music saying, you have ten years to write your first album and three months to write your second.  I only wish I could have that problem.  Let’s see, touring musician or traveling truck driver?  Yeah, I totally want to rock and roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment