Monday, February 28, 2011

Shelby

Feb 3, 2010

I haven’t written a blog entry in a while.  A lot has happened in the 24 days since my last post.  But one thing that I would consider a major event happened.  I was at the Covenant terminal in Hutchins, Texas when I found out that a friend of mine from high school had passed away. 
 
I learned that Shelby Williford, who I knew from Chamberlain High School had passed away from a stroke.  It seems that a blood clot passed into his brain, and that caused his stroke.  He passed away on January 15th. 
 
When I first met Shelby, to say he stood out was an understatement.  He had a Mohawk, and was a bit out there.  But he was hilarious.  That, and he liked to set things on fire.  He was one grade above me, so we didn’t have any classes together, or the same lunchtime.  So I never got to talk to him too much. 
 
I did have the opportunity to talk to him when we went to the Kiss convention together.  He decided that it would be a great idea to moon a group of black women in the car next to us.  We were of course driving 55 MPH down the interstate.  The women’s reaction was priceless.  At the Kiss convention, the plan was for Shelby to go up to former Kiss drummer Peter Kriss and yell, “Dad!” 
 
I’m glad I made it down for the memorial service.  I wasn’t sure I would be able to make it.  Since I have the odd talent of being a good public speaker, I thought I should get up and speak at the service.  I knew others would speak of Shelby’s amazing musical ability, so I decided to speak about his amazing sense of humor.  Everyone was really appreciative of my words, especially his parents.  I wanted to do a good job, and I think I came through.

It just makes me think of what my friend Chuck said to me.  “We’re 35.  We’re too young to be dying.”  I completely agreed with him.  It’s just too tough to go through this type of loss so young.  I know I went through the five stages of grief.  In fact, I think I am still going through it.  Just when I take a step forward, I take a few steps back.  Lately, I have been very angry.  It just makes no sense.  I know as long as I live I will never be as good of a guitarist was he was.  And now he’s passed on.  It just doesn’t seem right.  Mmmm, maybe I’m at bargaining now.

No comments:

Post a Comment