Monday, February 28, 2011

Adrian Goes Folk, Gets Applause

Sept 29, 2010

Current mood:happy

So this past Monday I did something that I had wanted to do for a while.  I played a musical set at Sacred Grounds Coffeehouse.  I consider myself a musician.  I play, I repair, and I build musical instruments.  However, how can I consider myself a singer/ guitarist if I have actually never played in front of anyone?  So I made it a point to play in front of people.  I played in front of my family at the family reunion.  I even won the talent contest with my playing.  But they were family.  They wouldn’t say a bad thing to me.  I needed to play in front of people I didn’t know at an independent coffeehouse.
 
Monday nights at Sacred Grounds are open mic nights so you see a lot of different performers/ styles/ talents.  I was the third performer in line, so there weren’t that many people in the coffeehouse yet.  I played four of my original songs in the following order, 1.  Crevasses and Glaciers.  2.  Everyday People.  3.  Secret Path.  4.  Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. 
 
What surprised me was that the song that the crowd liked the best was Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  I wasn’t even sure I would play it at first.  Think about it, how well would a country song go over at a folk type coffeehouse?  Well, it went over pretty darn good.  Honestly I didn’t think I did as well as I could have.  I was nervous, and my voice was a bit scratchy. 
 
At the end of the night the owner wanted me to play my cello on stage.  She was really nice, and made sure the stage was cleared to let me play.  The first thing I did was freestyle play with a nice guy who played the flute.  We had a blast.  Then I played “Waltz of the Flowers” and “Greensleeves.”  I then freestyle played for another ten minutes. 

Since there was no one left to play, I performed my four original songs again.  I did much better that time.  Since I had the stage with no one waiting I performed Nirvana’s “About a Girl” and The Churches’ “Under the Milky Way.” 
 
It was one of the best times I’d had in a while, and I was glad to do it.  I only wish I could do again this Monday instead of being in Chattanooga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment