Sunday, February 27, 2011

Why Christian Rock Sucks

Mar. 12, 2009

Current mood:silly

Before becoming a born again Pagan I was a Christian.  This blog isn't going to be a scathing review of the Christian religion.  Although, I may make fun of some points of it.  I'm not going to say why I left Christianity, but there's so much of it I found hokey and silly. 

In the 80's and 90's all the Christian groups fought their war against rock n' roll.  If they knew anything about how an amplifier works they make think twice about the words that come out of their mouths.  I mean, if I am playing an amp clean it's ok, but if I turn the gain (distortion) up it becomes Satanic?  WTF? 

So instead of the boring crap that usual Christian groups sing, in the 80's some Christian artists started to produce what they called "Christian Rock."  I'm guessing it was supposed to provide an alternative to headbangers so they wouldn't listen to Metallica.  Well, the main problem was, Metallica was/is a hell of a lot more talented than any Christian rock artist.

When I was in 9th grade I played football and track + field.  I was also a member of FCA (The Fellowship of Christian Athletes.)  It was during one of those FCA meetings that I was introduced to Christian rock.  They had a couple of Christian rock videos that they showed the group.  One of them was a song called "Secret Amibition."  It's about how Jesus wanted to teach us all this great religion thing, but he secretly knew that he would be put to death.  The video was very B - movie like.  Anyway, over the years it's one of those things that made me chuckle to myself.  And now, thanks to the magic of Youtube, you can now see the video too.

Michael W. Smith - Secret Ambition

Still to this day, it makes me laugh.  So, Christians aren't all bad.  They are kinda funny some of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment