Sunday, February 27, 2011

Destruction for the Road

Aug. 9, 2008

Current mood:hopeful

I have finished Roadmaster Driving School.  I have gotten my CDL.  I have been hired by Covenant Transport.  Now, I hit the road.

I will be traveling to Chattanooga, Tenn. to attend orientation for a few days.  Then I will be placed with a trainer.  I will be on the road with him for 35 days.  After that I will get to come home for a few days.  I will then be placed with a partner who lives in the same county as me.

This of course begs the question, "How will I live without the internet for 35 days?"  While I am on the road, I will be saving up for a laptop with a big ass satellite dish.  Oh, and a Slingbox so I can watch all my favorite programs on the road. 

It feels good to get back out into the real workforce.  The whole music industry is kind of like a shitfaced dream.  It never felt real, and there was no money in it.  Woodworking and guitar building are great when you do it for yourself, but lose all meaning when you are working for someone else. 

I am really glad to be getting a regular paycheck.  I haven't really worked on getting my debt down in a few years.  For those who don't know me, I can be very frugal.  I have everything that I need, and don't spend money on things I don't need.  So with that in mind, I am going to try to pay off my debt in one year.  It really is a goal of mine. 

I only have one weakness.  That is musical instruments.  That is also one of the reasons that I am in debt.  That, and a few other things that I won't mention.  I'm really at the point where I don't really need any more guitars or amps.  Although there is this one amp that I really want..... 

Anyway, it will be tough being out of contact with all my friends.  At this point in my life, I happen to know a lot of people, and it will be weird not being able to talk to all of them.  But that is the sacrifice that an over the road trucker has to make

No comments:

Post a Comment