Saturday, February 26, 2011

Destruction for Palm Trees, Part 2

April 13, 2008

So today is the day that I tackled the last palm tree.  Actually it's more of a we, as in my Dad and I.  The day starts off with the chainsaw giving him fits.  Of course, I've never had a chainsaw that didn't get me fits.  Chainsaws are a great idea, but in real life practice they don't exactly work like you would want them too.  So I made the comment that I could cut it down faster with an axe, than my Dad could cut it with the chainsaw.  Seeing as how the chainsaw wasn't working, that wasn't going to be a problem.

So, I start wailing away at the palm tree with an axe.  Now, I was in the Boy Scouts for 12 and a 1/2 years.  I taught the totem' chit class on how to use knives, axes, saws, and other tools.  I am damn good with an axe.  After only five minutes I'm halfway through this palm tree.  I quickly realize that I better get the tow strap hooked to it, and tie off the strap to the truck.  This is mainly so the tree doesn't fall into the house.
So I start to put pressure on the strap, in other words, I give the truck some gas.  I get the strap nice and tight, and the tree starts to lean.  I put the emergency brake on, and check out the tree.  I'm thinking about putting a few more cuts into it, when it starts to crack and pop.  My Dad says, "That things ready to go."  So he jumps in the truck, puts it into 4X4, and gives it some gas.  That tree just fell over like it wasn't attached to anything. 

So the main point of the story is that, I took out that palm with an old fashioned axe.  I also managed to do all this in the cold and rain.  On a totally different note, I did happen to take a picture of a very big red-headed woodpecker.  I don't think the picture came out too well because he wouldn't stop moving around.  Maybe, I'll get em' next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment