Sunday, June 2, 2019

Philmont 2019: Day 9, Part 2: What The Hail Is That?

So there I was.  I was busy doing paperwork in my office when a storm blew in.  It had been so nice in the morning.  It was a perfectly blue sky, light breeze, and about 70 degrees.  It was about 10 O'clock when I noticed a few clouds forming over the Tooth of Time.  I thought, "Eh, we might get a little rain."  I didn't know what I was in for.

About 3 O'clock the rain started coming down.  But it wasn't just rain.  I heard the roof shaking.  When I looked out of my office window I noticed hail was falling in droves.  Again, I had my camera with me so I started taking photos and videos of it.

I ended up taking photos, but then the hail came down even harder.  The same with taking video.  So, as you look through the photos and videos, notice how all the ice is starting to pile up.

I made the joke that, "Colorado said, "Look at me!  I'm snowing!"  That's when New Mexico said, "Hold my beer."  And that's when we had something worse than snow.  We had balls of ice coming down.

The trees are shredded out there.  There are leaves everywhere.  Here it is hours later, and ice is still piled up.  The grass looks a bit rough too.  I checked my truck, and it's okay.  I was worried it would look like it had been hit by a road grater.  Luckily, there were no marks on it.  And of all the weird things, I took my truck down to get washed today.

Here's the photos:














I have to say, I'm really thankful for the poncho Mom sent me.  I knew I'd need it out here.  I just didn't think the first time I would be using it would be in a hailstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment