Saturday, June 15, 2019

Philmont 2019: Day 22, Adrian: Friend to the Women of Base Camp

I was approached the other day by one of the female staffers.  I'll keep her name private.

She asked me, "Can we have more garbage cans in the women's staff shower house?"  I'll admit, I looked at her like she was crazy.

I replied, "But you already have four huge cans in there!  What more do you need?"

She said, "We could use some between the stalls."  Then it clicked for me.

I said to her, "I worked at Raymond James Stadium cleaning all the restrooms, and I know exactly what you are talking about.  I'm going to pass this message up the food chain, and see what I can do."

She proclaimed a very emphatic, "Yes!"  I have to admit, It felt good that she could bring something like this to me.  I know I'm the Base Camp Services Manager, but I am also a man.  And women don't feel comfortable bringing up something like this to a man.  Even this man.




Now the women know what I'm talking about.  For the men I'm going to have to explain.  In fact, I had to explain this to my crew.  I thoroughly embarrassed the one woman I have on the crew by explaining what I called, "The feminine mystic."

During the time of a woman's mensural cycle they need to use feminine pads and such.  In most civilized bathrooms they have these small garbage cans that are lined with a wax paper liner.  It seems that Philmont does not have these in the ladies' restroom stalls.



One of my staffers asked, "Is this supposed to be a five star accommodation bathroom?"  A few of us then had to explain what the small garbage cans are used for.  He didn't know.  That's one reason I had to fill him in on, "The feminine mystic."

Once it was explained to him he said, "Oh!  Okay, now I understand.  Yeah, that's a good reason to have them."

My immediate boss wanted to know how many cans and liners we were going to need to order.  I told him, "10 cans and 2 cases (500 liners per case.)  The good news, is that, management is now getting the ball rolling on this.  

But this got me to thinking.  I remember reading a story about a female Philmont Ranger back in 1979.  I was looking at a photo of her and her friends from that year, and she mentioned that she didn't know she was one month pregnant then.  What got my attention was that this photo was taken in the year 1979.  I wondered, "Has Philmont ever had these receptacles?"

My point is that Philmont has had women working there for at least four decades that I know of.  And these receptacles have never been placed in the women's restrooms?  I realize these may be a newer invention, but Philmont really needs to get with the times.

If this is the greatest gift to Philmont I can offer this year, I'll take it.  Maybe I will receive a "Golden Pad" award at the end of the year.  I wonder where I can wear that patch on my uniform?

I've told a few women about this, and they were beyond excited that this was actually happening.  Again, the ones that would speak to me about this feel this should have been done long ago.

I explained to my crew that even though this sounds like a lot more work, it is actually a blessing.  All it takes is for one pad to be flushed, and it will clog a pipe and shut it completely down.  Then the ensuing overflow mess will have to be cleaned up by us.

And let's be honest, the only way to remove a pad from the pipe (if it can't be snaked) is to shut the water main down to the entire shower house, remove the toilet, and try and get it out of the pipe by hand or hand tool.  Again, all it takes is one.

So I think about little ole' me.  12 1/2 year BSA member.  Guy who does stuff.  Cleaner of bathrooms.  Base Camp Luthier.  And now, friend to the Women of Base Camp.  And I think I am most proud of the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment