Monday, June 17, 2019

Philmont 2019: Day 24, My Articles/Ideas That Did Not Get Posted In The Phil-News

If you are reading this blog, then you have probably figured out that I love to write.  I have been writing this blog since 2008, and this year might end up being the year I have written the most.  Since I consider myself an amateur writer it should come as no surprise that I have pitched ideas and even submitted stories to Philmont's Phil-News.

However, if you are familiar with my writing style you have probably guessed not one of these ideas has gone anywhere.  I'll admit, it's a bit disappointing.  But I still have the rest of the summer to hash out ideas.

So far, this is what I have pitched.

1.  I wrote an "Onion" type of article about me being the meanest manager out here at Philmont.  It was so over the top that no on could possibly take it seriously.  I will post it below.

I was told that it's not what the "Phil-News" does.  It just doesn't fit in with their style.  So it got nixed.



2.  I wrote an article about my Dr. Hunter S. Thompson alter ego interviewing me about being a certified luthier here at Base Camp.  I thought it was fair, but again, it was turned down.  It seems I'm not allowed to have my alter ego interview me.  There's some sort of rule about it.  Again, I will post the article down below.



3.  I came up with the headline, "About Bleeding Time!!!" in reference to the Women's Staff Rest Rooms finally getting sanitary napkin trash cans.  I thought it was about time Philmont made it into the 21st century.  Or, at least the late 20th century.



Guess what?  The tag line didn't fly.  (And it was so perfect!)  Also, the BSA is a bit of a conservative organization, and they wouldn't want to hear about women's menstrual cycles in their newspaper.  So that idea was shot down.



4.  I came up with another "Onion" type of article.  The headline was, "Staffer Who's a Kansas 3 Finds Out She's a Philmont 8."  Yeah, that kind of got me thrown out of the News and Photo Building.



5.  Of course, another great "Onion" headline came to my brain less than 10 minutes later.  It read, "Cottonwood Trees Decide To Tell Philmont Staff and Campers To Go Fuck Themselves."  I didn't even pretend that was going to fly.  But seriously, it looks like it's snowing out here.


6.  I did submit a soup recipe.  That "might" get published.  I don't know.  Broccoli is very controversial.


So we'll see what happens.  I will continue to flood News and Photo with articles, and they'll keep denying them.  But maybe once in a blue moon, one will slip by.

And now, here's the article on me being the meanest manager at Philmont.


The Meanest Manager At Philmont
By
Raymond Duke



Leaving a trail of slime wherever he goes, Adrian Long is the meanest manager at Philmont.  How it came to be that he would be put in charge of Base Camp Services has become quite the mystery surrounding the camp. 

No staff members wanted to have their names on the record concerning Mr. Long’s behavior.  A few have asked that they be allowed to share their stories without giving away any information that would identify themselves.

One young staff member spoke of Mr. Long’s volatile nature.  “We had just cleaned the sidewalk outside of one of the shower houses when a deer walked up.  Mr. Long said if that (redacted by editor) messed up his sidewalk he would drop kick it.  The deer then started peeing on the sidewalk.  Mr. Long went ballistic, and actually drop kicked the deer!  I’ve never seen anything like it!”

Another staffer reported, “He asked me, “If my Mother had any children that lived?”  Somehow he found out my home number, called my Mother and asked her, “If she had any children that lived?”  “But that was nothing compared to the time he asked me if I was a (redacted)?  I don’t even know what a (redacted) is!”

It has also been reported that Mr. Long doesn’t even call his fellow staffers by their correct names.  He just yells, “Nametag” at them.  When a staffer questioned Mr. Long as to why he wasn’t referring to them by their names it was reported that Mr. Long stated, “I don’t know you well enough to give a (redacted) about you.  In two months’ time I’ll be doing real work, and you’ll be shoveling (redacted) in Mississippi.  To me you are all green shirted scum.”

One also wonders if Mr. Long actually causes more damage than he fixes around Base Camp.  “He doesn’t actually use a key to open the toilet paper dispensers.  He just kicks them until they fall open.  Sometimes they open.  Sometimes they just fall off the wall.  He doesn’t seem to care either way.” Spoke one staffer. 

Another staffer spoke, “There was one time he wasn’t happy with how we cleaned the mirrors.  So he said we had to do extra training.  He made the entire Base Camp Services crew clean his personal truck.  No matter what we did it wasn’t good enough.  We spent over two hours just cleaning the inside and outside of his truck.”

A very visibly upset staffer reported the following, “One day we were doing really well.  Everything was getting clean.  The day was going by pretty fast.  Mr. Long hadn’t said, well, really anything all day.  At the end of the day he smiled for the first time.  He looked at me and said, “You’ve actually done well today.  Maybe you might be promoted to Base Camp Services Manager someday.” 

It was the first nice thing he had ever said to me.  So I said, “Yes Sir.”  He then punched me in the stomach as hard as he could.  As I was lying down on the ground rolling around in pain, he whispered in my ear, “Not while I’m (redacted) here.”

The Philmont News has made repeated calls to Roger Hoyt, Steve Nelson, and Phillip Ferrier about Mr. Long’s abusive nature, but all calls have been unreturned.  We did contact Mr. Long for his side of the story.  His response was, “If I wanted (redacted) out of you, I would (redacted.)  And that goes for (redacted.)  I don’t care if you (redacted) on a (redacted) I would still (redacted) and (redacted.)”

There was one staffer within management who wished to talk, but asked they not be identified.  They had this to say.  “Listen, everyone knows Adrian Long is an abusive piece of crap.  No one in the office likes him.  Not the bosses, not the secretaries, no one.”

“But the thing is you can’t deny his results.  He took over a department that nobody wanted.  I mean, people actually threatened to quit before they would go over to Base Camp Services.  Since he took over the shower houses are cleaner than they been in years.  And I do mean years.  No one would touch them.  So he comes in, and turns it around.  That’s what the bosses wanted.”

“Is he one of the most contemptible people I’ve ever met in my life?  Absolutely!  But he gets results so management just kind of looks the other way when it comes to his behavior.  Am I afraid that someone is going to get hurt?  Again, absolutely!  But let Philmont go a few days without the shower houses being cleaned, and this place will go the way of Rome.”

“I don’t like it any better than you do.  I avoid the man.  I don’t talk to the man.  I’ll leave the room if he walks in.  But the truth is they just don’t have anyone to replace him.  I have to mention again, the shower houses are cleaner than they’ve been since I got here.  I don’t like it, but that’s the way it is.”

The Philmont News will continue to cover this ongoing story.  If any staff member wishes to reach out to the Philmont News concerning Adrian Long’s behavior, please call Philmont extension 1246.  You can remain anonymous. 


And here is my alter ego's interview with me about luthiery.


The Base Camp Luthier
By 
Raymond Duke



Many staff members know Adrian Long as the Base Camp Services Manager.  He and his team clean the ten large shower houses at Base Camp.  But what you may not know about Adrian Long is that he is a trained and certified luthier.  For those who don’t know, a luthier is a person who builds and repairs guitars and other fretted musical instruments. 

Word has spread through the grapevine that Mr. Long will gladly help anyone who needs their instrument repaired or set-up.  So far, he has worked on ten guitars for Philmont Staff members.  Some guitars need minor adjustments while others have needed to be glued back together.  The Phil-News sat down with Mr. Long to find out more about how he transitioned into guitar repair. 

Raymond Duke: Thanks for agreeing to sit down with the Phil-News.

Adrian Long:  Well, I’m glad to.  I wanted to get the word out that I’m here to help out my fellow staffers.

RD:  How did you become a luthier?  How did that process start?

AL:  I’ll give you the quick version.  I started playing guitar at age 22.  I loved it, and wanted to know more about it.  I decided to go to luthiery school.  I ended up opening my own shop.  After that I worked for both Guitar Center and Dean Guitars. 

RD:  What instruments do you play?

AL:  I started playing cello when I was 12.  I wanted to learn how to play guitar from a young age, but never got around to it until I was 22.  But once I learned guitar, I picked up playing bass guitar pretty quickly.  I can also play around with harmonicas.  I’m no John Popper (of Blues Traveler fame,) but I have fun with it. 

I recently picked up a Cajon.  When I would play coffee houses I would see the drummers playing them.  I knew I’d have to have one.  And since I had a Cajon, I thought I should have some shakers and a tambourine as well.

RD:  Have you worked at Philmont before?

AL:  Again, I’ll have to give you the short version.  I worked here back in 2004.  I was a Program Councilor at Rayado.  A staff member down there got sick and had to go home.  I was an emergency hire.  So I was here only about 2/3rds of the season back then. 

RD:  What made you decide to bring your tools to Philmont and work on staffers’ guitars?  Aren’t you busy enough with Base Camp Services that you don’t need to be adding anything else to your time?

AL:  Well, it’s true.  I am busy.  I am insanely busy.  I mean, look at us.  It’s my supposed day off, and here I am talking to you.  But let me get to your first question.  When I was here in 2004 I saw that many staffers had brought musical instruments.  And every instrument I saw needed work done on it. 

When I found out that I would be coming back to Philmont, I knew I was going to have to bring my own tools for my job as Base Camp Services Manager.  So I threw in some of my specialty luthier tools in my tool box.  I knew I would be able to help a lot of staffers out here. 

RD:  What’s the one thing you see that most staffers’ guitars need?

AL:  Without a doubt it’s two things.  First, most of the truss rods have never been set on the guitars I’m seeing.  Even those that have, they haven’t been set correctly.  The other thing is players need to change their strings more often.  If you have one guitar that you play all the time, you need to change your strings at least once a month, and maybe more. 

RD:  I think you are getting ahead of yourself again.  What’s a truss rod?

AL:  You’re right.  I am doing that again.  Behind the fretboard of a guitar, within the neck, is a metal rod that can be adjusted.  The strings pull about 120 pounds of pressure on the neck.  It immediately bends the neck over.  So to combat this, builders put in a metal rod (called a truss rod) so that the neck can be straightened out. 

Due to temperature and environmental changes truss rods may need to be adjusted several times a year.  Touring musicians are constantly adjusting their guitars’ truss rods since they are always changing environments.  

RD:  It’s been rumored that you don’t actually charge staffers for guitar work.  Is that true?

AL:  Yes, it’s absolutely true.  I don’t charge.  Oh, except I do charge exactly what I paid for strings.  I don’t make a penny off strings. 

RD:  I have to ask the question, why not charge for your work?

AL:  The truth is I realize that most Philmont staffers are still in college.  They have student loans and very little money.  If I tried to charge them, then no one would actually bring me an instrument. 

Something else I’ve run into, is that, many staffers have never actually met a luthier, or they don’t know that a guitar is adjustable.  It can be made to play easier.  Many staffers would think, “Why should I pay “X” amount for this?  My guitar is fine.”  But in reality, their guitar is not fine.  It can be made to play so much better.

RD:  Can you give me an example?

AL:  Well, I hope Graham from Activities doesn’t mind me using his name.  He brought me a Martin Guitar to look at.  Let’s be honest.  It might be the nicest guitar out here at camp.  He didn’t think it actually needed anything.  But I sat down, and performed a number of adjustments on his guitar.  I’ll tell you this.  I made it play much, much better. 

RD:  What did it need done to it specifically?

AL:  Like every guitar I see, it needed the neck straightened out in the worst way.  Once I did that, it brought the strings down to a comfortable playing level.  It also needed new strings. 

RD:  What’s the most difficult repair you’ve performed out here?

AL:  I repaired a Martin DX series that had the back coming off of it.  I managed to glue it back together, and set it up properly.  Once I put new strings on that guitar was insanely loud for an acoustic.  It really surprised me. 

But the real trick in repairing a guitar is leaving no marks.  Sure anyone could glue the back to the sides, but will they leave clamp marks?  Will they leave excess glue?  Will they leave divots in the wood?  A great luthier will be able to make a guitar appear that it’s never had a repair.  I was able to make that guitar look flawless.

RD:  What’s the one request you’ve gotten the most?

AL:  Of all the things, the question I’ve been repeatedly asked is “What is the best way to install a set of strings?”

RD:  Really?

AL:  Yeah, there is an art to it.  I’ve showed quite a number of staffers the right way to put on strings. 

RD:  How is there a right way?

AL:  The trick is putting on enough string on the tuner so that it won’t slip off, but not too much to where it won’t go out of tune when the guitar tuner is being turned. 

RD:  Is there any message you would like to pass on to the Philmont staff?

AL:  Absolutely.  I realize we have a lot of guitar players in the backcountry.  If they want to stop by and have me look at their instruments, I’d be happy to.

RD:  Where can you be reached?

AL:  I’m in the Hardesty Casa Building.  If you are facing the building look all the way to the right.  You’ll see a door that says Base Camp Manager.  That’s my office.  Or, if you want to call me, my Philmont extension is 1216.  Leave a message and I’ll call you back when I can. 

RD:  Is there a good time to visit you?

AL:  I’m working with my crew in the mornings and afternoons.  So if you see my light on in my office at night, come on over.  I’ll be happy to help you. 

RD:  Thanks for sitting down with us.

AL:  Thanks for having me.  I’m always glad to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment