Thursday, June 13, 2019

Philmont 2019: Day 20, All Creatures Great And Small

So here it is.  It's day 20 of me being here at Philmont.  Guess what?  I couldn't sleep.  I was just too wound up over this being my first day off.  I kept waking up, and finally I was so awake I didn't even pretend to try to get back to sleep.

It's been a busy last couple of days.  I've been running back and forth trying to acquire supplies for my team.  I've also been clearing up paperwork.  Oh, I have sent a flood of repair requests to the maintenance dept.  Honestly, I should be passed out.  Wait.  Now that I think about it I pretty much passed out two nights ago.  I went to bed early, and never heard either of my roommates come in.

I haven't taken as many photos as I usually do, but I did shoot some interesting ones.  Let's take a look.

One of my crew saw this little guy hanging on the side of a building.  Due to it being somewhat cool, I was able to take some extremely close-up photos of it.

My Sister found out what kind of bug it was.  It's a Clio Tiger Moth.  Here's a great link that shares all sorts of information about them.

https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Ectypia-clio?fbclid=IwAR1Y_3QQref-w_x8dHraKqB318MPuWkdLrqBiBDCCgqgjp70W-DswvOAbX4








Next up I decided to have some fun at my own expense.  Since I'm always joking about how I'm the mean type of boss, and not the best friend type of boss, I thought I would have a few photos taken of me in my "mean mode."




Since the license plate of the Kawasaki Mule is out of date, Jim the mechanic told me I should keep it.  Otherwise, it would go in the garbage.  I immediately knew the best place for it.  Right above my office door next to my lucky horseshoe.


Yesterday, as I was waiting for the Staff Dining Hall to open I spotted this American Robin sitting outside hall.  I made the joke that he was sitting out there protesting the use of scrambled eggs as food for humans.








But the day wasn't over, in terms of it being full of surprises.  One of my crew found this moth hanging out in one of the warm shower houses.  I asked my Sister what it was, and she said it was most likely a Blinded Sphinx Moth.  If it's not that, it's definitely in the Sphinx Moth family.

Here's another great link with loads of information:

https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Paonias-excaecata?fbclid=IwAR3LNFHtgWSw-ib4zvj_6GUcIrhUrzrT9xt2y-Xnd3vfP77rrHsmNCzIfhI









Honestly, I really think I need a Pokémon like this moth.  Again, due to it being cold the moth was sluggish, so I was able to take some extremely close up photos.

Well, today's my day off, and I am heading to Taos.  I plan on taking my camera with me.  I'm sure I'll be able to photograph quite a few interesting things.  I don't know what they are.  I don't know what they'll be.  But I will have my camera ready just in case.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment