Monday, June 10, 2019

Philmont 2019: Day 17, Buck Fever And Starting The Mule

My Day here at Philmont started out a little rough.  I am given access to a 2011 Kawasaki Mule.  It's a bit rough around the edges, but it works for me.  Actually, I'm kind of glad they didn't give me a nice piece of equipment.  If a boulder falls on this one, they will be upset, just not too upset.

The Mule decided it didn't want to start.  I'd been having issues with the ground wire a few days previously.  I grabbed the negative wire, and moved it around since it was somewhat loose.  The Mule decided to turn right over.  Okay, it did that time.  When I tried to start it again, it did not want to start no matter what I did.

To make a long story short, I took my knife, my metal file, and sandpaper to the negative terminal connector.  I cleaned the gunk on it and the terminal.  What would you know?  It started right up.  After I made my rounds with the crew I brought it back to my office, and cleaned both connectors even more.  I then added Vaseline to the terminals to help with the connections.  Hopefully, this clears up this problem for a while.

Here are the photos that show me working on the connections.




In the evening I went over to the Philmont Training Center.  They were trading BSA patches.  I had brought some with me to trade.  It took me about 10 minutes to trade them for other patches.  I think I spent 5 of those minutes talking to someone from my hometown district.


Pretty awesome right?  I'm digging them.  I'd never seen so many council patches in my life.  It was wild.  I should have bought 500 Greater Tampa Bay Council patches.  I could have traded them all.

Here's a weird story.  Did you ever make a decision that seemed minor, but turned out to be something major?  Well, this happened to me.  I was planning on walking over to the Philmont Training Center when I realized I would be walking right by my truck in the staff parking lot.  So I decided to drive.

To enter the PTC you have to drive past it, and go down a one way road all the way through it.  This meant I had to drive past the exit, and go further on to the entrance.  If I would have walked I could have walked up the exit road.  But I decided to drive.  And I'm glad I did.

It turned out that just as I drove in the entrance there were about 17 deer just sitting there.  I stopped and took out my camera.  I've just learned to carry it with me at all times.  Here's what I was able to capture with my camera.





In case you are wondering, they are hanging out at one of the chapels.  Yep, that's where one of the church services takes place.

I was then able to take a photo of this deer licking itself.



As I took a photo of these two does sitting on the ground I had a young buck walk into the picture frame at the last second.  I then took a great photo of him.




It was then I noticed something in the grass.  It was about 30 yards from the herd on the other side of the fence.  I started taking photos of it without knowing what it was.  I really pushed my camera to the limit to take this photo.



Okay, that last one is a pretty awesome photo.  I'm proud of that.  I drove on into PTC, but stopped to take photos of this.



After I was done trading patches I headed back to Philmont's Base Camp Staff Parking Lot.  While I was done trading patches, I wasn't done seeing deer.  Right behind the Staff Parking Lot was a herd of deer.  I placed my camera on the back of my truck for balance.  I was able to take some faraway photos that way.  Again, I really pushed my camera to it's maximum capabilities.













And I didn't just take photos.  I took some really great video footage.





This is one of the mountains behind base camp.  It appears to have some sort of water runoff that has cut a gash into the mountain.  I always found it... interesting.







The horses were hanging out in the field as well.  I decided to take a few photos of them.











I just happened to snap a photo at the right second with that last photo.  Do you see the little bird sitting on the horse's back?  The bird just happened to land there the second I took the photo.

What's funny, is that, I hadn't taken many photos all day.  I had even thought to myself that I had kind of slacked off taking them.  But then I hit the motherload.  I'll admit, it feels good.  I captured some really neat photos.  And you know what?  I'm going to take so many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment