Friday, December 28, 2018

Les Paul Madness: Part 2: Pickup Madness!

Please start with Part 1.

Les Paul Madness: A Guitar, A Case, A Great Deal, And A Lot Of Work

I really enjoy playing my Epiphone Les Paul Custom.  I performed a lot of work on it to make it play this awesome.  But I had a problem.  (A white people problem.)  I did not like the bridge pickup at all.  So I made a few changes.  Here's the list.

As I wrote in Part 1 of this blog post, I started with a Dean Mountain of Tone pickup in the bridge position.  Basically it's Dean's version of Seymour Duncan's Custom 5 pickup.  I hated the lack of mids in it.  It just wasn't my sound.

What's funny is that I actually have a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in my parts drawer.  Since I really disliked how it sounded, I performed a magnet change on it.  I learned about changing magnets from the Seymour Duncan Forum.  It's been a great way to achieve new sounds from pickups.

For those who don't know the Custom series pickups are all the same wind with a different magnet.

Custom = Ceramic magnet.
Custom Custom = Alnico 2 magnet.
Custom 5 = Alnico 5 magnet.  (AKA, jokingly called the "Custom Custom Custom.")

So I changed the Alnico 5 magnet out for a ceramic.  That way I would end up with the original design of the Custom pickup.  It had a bit more mids, but I still didn't care for it.  So back to the workbench.

Next, I changed the ceramic magnet for an Alnico 8 magnet.  Now, Seymour Duncan doesn't actually make a "Custom 8" pickup, but that's what the folks on the Seymour Duncan forum call it.  I tried it, but I still thought it was thin and just not that great.

I was aiming to change the Alnico 8 magnet for an Alnico 2 magnet.  However, I saw and bought an interesting pickup off of Ebay.  Anyone who knows me, knows I love bladed pickups.  And on Ebay I saw a bladed pickup with a silver baseplate for only $19 plus free shipping.  I thought, "I have to try this out."

So I tried it out.  You know what?  I loved it.  The sound fell right between a Bill Lawrence (Wilde pickups) L-500-R and an L-500-L.  And that's the sound that I have been looking for.  For years I've used an L-500-R in the bridge.  It is a very PAF meets bladed pickup sound.  In other words, mid-scooped with lots of bite.

 

I've tried the L-500-L, and it's a bit compressed for my taste.  The L-500-XL does metal really well, but I wouldn't use it for anything else.  So this new pickup is what I have been looking for, for a long time.

You can find it listed as: Twin Blade High Output Bridge Output Humbucker Pickup Black Nickel Silver Baseplate.  The seller is sanman8753.

So I thought, "Why stop there?  Let's find a matching neck pickup."  Well, the seller didn't have a matching neck pickup, so I searched for one.  95% of the bladed pickups were for the bridge position.  However, I found one neck pickup that intrigued me.  What got my attention was that it also had a silver baseplate.  It was, however, a bit more expensive than the bridge pickup.  It cost $38, but had free shipping.  It still cost less than a GFS or equivalent pickup.

You can find it posted as:  New Alnico V Twin Blade Rail Hot Humbucker Guitar Pickup Neck or Bridge - Black.  The seller is: Allsoundstore.


If you will notice, the blades are a lot thicker on the neck pickup.  I think this brought out a much thicker sound.  It has a bit more mids than an L-500-R.  I'd say the treble is about the same.  The real difference is that the bass is huge on this pickup.  I will say it had a lot more compression than the L-500-R.

I brought the treble side up to the strings where I normally do, but I had to lower the bass side since the bass was too overwhelming.  After I did that it seemed to find it's sweet spot.


The good news, is that, the pickups blended well.  I really dig the sounds I can get out of this guitar now.  Surprisingly, I can achieve some really interesting and usable sounds using the tone controls.  I didn't get to play it as much I would have liked today, but I am looking forward to playing it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment