Monday, December 24, 2018

A Guitar Pedal Idea: Singing Crystal Bowl Pedal?

In the world of guitar pedals it seems it's all been done.  When I first started playing I had ideas of what would make a great "new" sound.  Then I would find out someone had created it years ago in the form of rack gear or guitar pedals.  The best you can hope to find these days is a better quality/better sounding brand of guitar pedal.  A brand that does one what you want better than another brand.

A few weeks ago I had an amazing experience.  I was able to sit in a room with not one, but two women playing dueling singing crystal bowls.  It was wonderful.  Here is a YouTube video of one of the women, Dru Ann playing her set of bowls.



Here is Dru Ann and Ashley playing dual singing bowls.  This is what I was able to experience for forty minutes.  Make sure to turn up your volume to really hear/feel/experience the sounds of the singing bowls.



For those who don't know, a set of bowls look like this:


Here's a photo of them with lights in them.  The lights correspond to a person's Chakras.


The two musicians, Dru Ann and Ashley, gifted me with sounds I had never heard before.  What really surprised me was just how loud the singing bowls were.  It was rather loud and intense.  Since the ladies set their bowls facing across from each other the sound was split like a stereo (versus mono.)  It also set up a dynamic rotary speaker type of effect.

As I was meditating/thinking/plotting, a thought came to me.  I don't think a sound like this exists in the guitar world.  If it did, you would need lots of pedals.  But what if there were an all in one guitar pedal that could make this sound?  What if there was a "Singing Bowl Guitar Pedal?"  How would it be done?  Well, I got to thinking about that.

First up, it would need to be a long pedal.  One that would have a number of foot-stomping switches on it.  Kind of like this:


The first switch would be a delay switch.  In fact, now that I think about it, it could be a delay with a looper.  At first the pedal would delay the signal, and then loop it four times.




Next in line would be a feedbacker with distortion.  You could set the level of feedback, and the delay would carry the signal.  I know distortion makes people think of metal, but this would be a subtle distortion.  Just enough to fuzz up the signal.  And now that I said fuzz, maybe a fuzz pedal would be a better choice than a distortion.




But what really sells this pedal is the next effect in line.  Next would be a rotary speaker/tremolo effect.  This is what would give you a dual/stereo type of sound.  The rotary setting gives it that "heartbeat pulsing" effect that the singing bowls are known for.    


So this is how the pedal would work.  You would have a clean signal go into the pedal.  The delay acts like a sustainer when the delay time is extended.  

Next, the looper would have a setting for how many loops you would want it to perform.  My first choice would be for the note to loop four times.  But I think an option for it to loop between two and ten times would be usable.  Of course, you could set your loops via a knob.  

Next would be the feedbacker.  The settings could range from subtle singing to intense Nirvana type feedback.  The distortion or fuzz knob would change the setting from clean as glass to angry bees.  

Next up would be the rotary speaker.  Since all the other settings are controlling tone and distortion, I would have only two knobs for this pedal, speed and depth.  

So now we can all start working on this pedal right?  Except with all the technology built into one pedal it would probably have a store cost of $800.  Mmm?  Yeah, that's not really feasible is it?  Now I know why they never built one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment