Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Get Cha' Pull,... This Floyd Rose Right Off Of This Guitar, Part 2

Here are the previous posts about this guitar so you know what I'm talking about.

Get Cha' Pull:  New Guitar Day: Dixie Rebel

http://angjellockheart.blogspot.com/2017/08/get-cha-pull-new-guitar-day-dixie-rebel.html

Get Cha' Pull,... This Floyd Rose Right Off Of This Guitar

http://angjellockheart.blogspot.com/2018/07/get-cha-pull-this-floyd-rose-right-off.html




So here's where I was at with the Dean Dixie Rebel.  I managed to install the new Floyd Rose Tremolo on the Dean, but I wasn't happy with how it stuck out the back of the guitar.



After some reading on the web, I decided to change the brass block.  (That piece you see sticking out the back in the photo above.)  Everyone tends to sell these giant brass blocks for more sustain, tone, etc.  But I needed a smaller one.  

This lead to a series of really irritating mistakes.  I'll try to explain the best and shortest way I can.

First, I took apart my Gotoh Floyd Rose.  It seems they put extremely cheap screws in it, and I stripped out one of them.  I'm sure they used Lock-Tite on all of them.  I had to use all sorts of tools to get the stupid thing out, but with a drill, extractor, help from my Father, another drill, and an hour of working on it, I finally managed to get the stripped screw out without damaging the Floyd Rose.


I then ordered the smallest brass block I could find.  What I didn't count on was that the outside holes were 1mm off.  That doesn't sound like much, but metal isn't forgiving.  Also, it took 4M screws instead of 3M screws.  

So I searched the web and found a shorter brass block for the Gotoh (through Philadelphia Luthier.)  It wasn't as short as I wanted (33MM) but it was the shortest I could find for the Gotoh.  

Here you can see the difference between them.


I know some folks say to just cut the brass block, but I don't have that kind of metal machinery.  I'm also scared of screwing this up more than I already have.  But I managed to change them out without too many problems.

Here I am trying to keep all my brass blocks straight.


The original one still has a piece of screw stuck in it.


After a little finagling I was able to put the Floyd Rose back on.



But this lead to a problem I've never had.  The springs kept popping out of the brass block.  I've never had to use screws to hold one down, but it looked like I was going to have to do just that.  So back to Ace Hardware for more screws.


The good news, is that, it managed to hold the springs down.  But now it came down to, "Did all this work pan out?"  Kinda.


If I wasn't using the Floyd, it would stay behind the back plate.  If I used the Floyd, it still stuck out the back.  If I didn't have the screws in there I would be close.  But for now I'm going to have to play it without a cover on the back.  But at least it plays pretty good.  And I can still do all those Dimebag squeelies.   

No comments:

Post a Comment