Sunday, October 27, 2019

New Amplifier Cabinet Day: The Sound of Rock N'Roll

Yes, it's true.  I've acquired more musical equipment.  I also have to say my title is a bit misleading.  It's not really been a new cabinet day since this acquisition took place over a few months.  But let me start at the beginning.

I was watching a YouTube video that was reviewing the best 2X12 cabinet on the market (for the money.)  It was a Harley Benton G212 Vintage cabinet that came stock with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.  It's sold through Thomann Music for $205 plus shipping of $33 from Germany.  Here's the link:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

For any of my music gearheads, you know you can't even buy the Celestion speakers for that price, much less an equipped cabinet with speakers.  I had been wanting a 2X12 cabinet to pair with my Genz Benz El Diablo 100 amplifier.  This was the perfect cabinet so I ordered it.  It was on backorder so I had to wait a month to receive it.



Looks great, right?  However, there is something I forgot to mention.  I personally hate Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.  They sound unfocused, and have a weird high-mid spike.  I just can not for the life of me EQ an amp properly with them.  But I had a plan.


I took them out, and put up an ad on Craigslist.  I said I was aiming to trade the speakers more than I was to sell.  To be honest, musical instruments aren't selling on Craigslist right now so I didn't really have to worry about that.

However, there was one thing I ran into that I hadn't run into before.  Usually when I would receive trade offers they would be pretty fair.  This time around I was offered a whole lot of crap.  I mean, it was stuff that wasn't even close to being worth my time.  I won't go into details as it's pretty depressing, but I finally got the offer I had been looking for.

A musician up the road had what I really wanted.  A pair of Celestion G12T-75 speakers.  He agreed to come on over, and I tested out all the speakers.  We were both happy, so the trade worked out for everyone.


So I installed the G12T-75 speakers, and I have to say it sounds awesome.  To me the Celestion 75's are the sound of rock n' roll.  I recently purchased my first seven string guitar.  I have to say that the Genz Benz El Diablo 100 and the Celestion 75's are perfect for it.  Not to mention that it's a great set-up for all my guitars.

So I am really excited for this purchase.  Remember, I bought this new for $238 (U.S. dollars.)  To buy the equivalent of this set-up I would have to purchase a Marshall 1936 cabinet which is now $799 new from Sweetwater.  Here's the link:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1936--marshall-1936-150-watt-2x12-inch-extension-cabinet

So yeah, this is by far a much better deal.  I haven't had a chance to turn her up really loud yet, but one of these days I may drag my set-up outside to see just what she can do at full blast.  If I turned the volume all the way up inside the house I'd probably kill the fish.  And I really don't want to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment