Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Adrian's Insane Violin Project, Part 1

I am getting serious about building a violin from scratch.  I am also serious about doing it my way.  Since I am making this one for me, I figure, "What the hay" if I piss off the purist violin builders.  I think the violin could use a bit of updating, and I'm going to be the one to do it.

So here is the back of the violin.  It is made of black walnut instead of the standard maple. 

Here is a picture of the back after I shaped the outside.  I still need to shape the inside of the back.  However, I need a very specialized plainer to do so.  So it's onto other parts.

I will skip writing down all the hard work I did to get the neck like this.  Basically, it was taken from a hunk of Rosewood, and then I worked my magic on it.  Again, it's not a typical violin form, but I think it looks really beautiful and modern.

I have also decided to make the fingerboard out of Rosewood.  Again, I will skip all the hard work I put into it, and simply say that I got it from a chunk of Rosewood, and shaped it down.  The tough part was to get the curve on the fingerboard just right.  It has to have a uniform curve with no dead spots in it.  Note:  A dead spot is where a spot in the wood is so low that the string can't vibrate properly.

Next up will be making the sides.  I already have made the form for them to fit into after bending.  I will also be ordering a spruce top soon.  More pictures will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment