Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fishy Tale: Settling A Bet

I worked in the pet industry for a long time.  When dealing with pets you get a lot of weird questions.  Especially if you think just how many pets there are.  There are over 200 breeds of dogs.  Cats of all types.  Small animals/ rodents such as mice, hamsters, guniea pigs, rabbits, and gerbils.  I won't even try to imagine just how many types of fish there are.  And when it comes to reptiles the questions can be staggering. 

So my main point is when you work at a pet store be prepared to answer anything.  I've gotten a lot of weird questions when dealing with animals.  One I remember in particular had to deal with fish.  I had a customer, er I think he could be called a customer.  Anyway, I got a call on the phone asking to settle a bet.  The caller was in an arguement with a friend over whether or not fish slept.  He said yes, he friend said no.

I was asked to settle the dispute.  I told them they were both right and wrong.  Fish didn't sleep, but they enter a state called being "tepid."  I'm not sure if I spelled that right, but that is the state.  It is simular to REM sleep, but they are somewhere in-between conciousness and sleep.  So I guess neither one of them had to buy the other dinner or a beer.  Or whatever it was that was on the line.

It's just one of those weird things that happen when you work in a pet store, not to mention working with the public.  It's not the absolute strangest question that I ever got, but it stuck out enough that I remember it to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment