Saturday, April 27, 2019

Springtime Is In Full Effect: Carolina Wren Edition: Egg Me!: Part 2

Here's the link to Part 1:

https://angjellockheart.blogspot.com/2019/04/springtime-is-in-full-effect-carolina.html

As I posted in the previous blog post, springtime is in full effect.  A pair of Carolina Wrens' spent a few weeks building a nest on the porch.  Then, surprise!  They laid eggs.  It has been ten days since my first post and a few things have happened.

First up, the female Wren laid two more eggs.


She ended up laying one egg per day for four days.  Now comes the hard part for her, sitting on the nest.  This presents a problem.  When I walk out on the porch she doesn't want to move off the nest, but if she sees me looking at her, she takes off flying.

She's about taken my head off a few times.  So I have to "Use the force," and walk quickly by the nest without looking at her.  If I take my time, or look her in the eyes, she comes flying straight up my nose.  I'm not kidding.  One time she came pretty close to picking my nose as she flew by.

I can't blame her that time.  It was early morning and the sun hadn't come up.  I was standing by the nest, and looked in her direction.  Since it was dark, I couldn't see her, but she saw me.  That's when she panicked, and zoomed by me.  I'll admit, I did not take it well.  I hadn't been scared like that in a long time.  But again, that one was on me.

The incubation period for Carolina Wrens' is 14-17 days.  I'm not sure if that's from the day the first egg was laid or not.  Since it's so warm down here in Florida I'm going to guess the incubation period is going to be closer to 14 days.  So in about 3-4 days I'm going to start looking for baby chicks.  But I'm going to do it extremely carefully.  I might also use a shield.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment