Friday, June 1, 2018

I Made .... Another Table

To properly explain this post, here it's precursor.

I Made A Table!

Every month I try to build a table.  I ended up breaking my hand so my table making schedule has been off.  However, I managed to finish up one of small tables.  That's right.  I finished up table number three.  So what if I haven't finished up table number two?  I suck at counting sometimes.

Let's move on to the table.  First up I found a nice piece of camphor.


I decided that this would be perfect as an oval shape.



I wanted this to be very smooth so I had to fill in a lot of little holes and cracks.


Let's fast forward past a lot of sanding.  After that, it was time to add the legs.  I had a piece of mahogany that was perfect for the legs.




Fast forward a bit, and it's time for the finish.  I added four coats of a special mix of tung oil.  However, it wasn't shiny enough for me.  Since this had some nice flamed wood I really wanted it to shine.  So, long story short, I added seven coats of a special poly mix after the four coats of tung oil.


 After the final coat of poly I buffed out the table.





The funny thing is that I was able to craft the wood parts of this table pretty quickly.  It was all the finish work that took a long time.  However, I am glad I finally had the patience to keep adding the needed layers.  It really took this table to the next level.

Once my hand heals up I'm going to continue work on table number two.  That one is going to be a medium sized natural edge table.  Of course, I'm going to write a blog post about it.  I have a good feeling about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment