Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Juggernaut

I'd been looking for a jazz bass guitar for years.  So I can say I was excited when Dean Guitars came out with the Juggernaut model.  No, not this Juggernaut.


What I am referring to is their copy of the Fender Jazz Bass.  Here's the link:

http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=814064021587

Dean wanted something on par with the Fender Mexican Jazz Bass.  The Juggernaut is made in one of the Korean factories, but I'd have to say I find them pretty much even in terms of quality and playability.

About six months ago I wandered into a guitar shop that will remain anonymous.  They had a few Juggernauts in stock.  I tried to trade a Schecter bass plus cash to purchase one of the Juggernauts.  However, I was given a pretty insulting offer for the Schecter.  Let's just say I could have sold the Schecter's pickups for what they offered me for it.  So needless to say I walked out.  I hated to because the Juggernaut was on sale for $349.

Fast forward to about a week ago.  I was in the area of the unnamed guitar shop, so I decided to drop in on a whim.  They had one Dean Juggernaut left, and it was marked down to $205.  I played it and talked to the bass salesman. 

I found him to be a very kind and knowledgeable person, and told him I would like to flat out buy it.  He said as far as basses go, he found them to be a hidden gem in the shop.  I know folks would point out that a salesman would of course say something like that.  But at that price he wasn't making any commission on it.  It was a blow out price.  He would have made more money selling me a pack of bass strings.

He recognized me, and I told him about the last time I was in the store.  He then recalled what happened.  I told him there was no hard feelings about the offer on the Schecter since the price came from his boss, and not him.  Although I did mention they would have actually made a profit if they would have accepted the trade plus cash offer the first time I was in the store.

So I bought the bass home, and set it up.  I honestly think it would have sold faster if it has been set up properly.  I'm sure a lot of players would have tried to play it, and found the strings way too high.  It just needed a good set-up.  I am very happy with it.  Of course, I'm sure I will change the pickups since I can't help but chasing sound.

This also means I have to sell an instrument since I've purchased one.  I actually have a guitar and a bass for sale on Craigslist right now.  Once I sell either one I'll recoup the money I spent on the Juggernaut.

So onto the photos:




No comments:

Post a Comment