Monday, November 18, 2013

New Broken Amp Day, Part 2

Here's the first part of this story:

So here's the short version.  I bought this Laney amp for $90, and now I am trying to get it back into playing shape.  Today I had time to take it apart, and see how bad a shape it was in.  I also wanted to clean it.

In the next few pictures you can see all the rust, dirt, and grime.  I used silver polish as well as some steel wool to clean it up.  It worked wonders. 

The next thing I did was staple the tolex back down to the wood.  Originally glue held it down in places, but since this was so old the glue had started to wear out.  I just did what they should have done in the first place, put a few staples in it.

Next up, I cleaned the heat vent on the top of the amp.  Again, a lot of grime had built up, but a lot of elbow grease took care of that.

Here's a view of the inside of the amp.  It's in much better shape than I thought it would be.  I feel so much better after seeing this.  While I had it open I gave it a heck of a cleaning with electronics cleaner.

Here's the sticker on the inside of the amp.  It says it was made July 22, 1997. 

It's also amazing what a little Febreeze will do to the tolex. 

So here's what I need to do in the meantime.

1.  Replace the short screws that hold the top vent.  It'll cost more in gas than it will for the cost of the screws.  Ace Hardware here I come.
2.  I need 2 nuts to hold down the output jacks. 
3.  It needs all new tubes.
4.  It needs new feet.  I know it only needs one, but they come in packages of four.  And honestly, the three on there are pretty ate up. 
5.  I need to get a handle.
6.  I need to get a back mesh grill. 

Again, it's a lot of small parts, and some expensive tubes.  But if I can get this thing working it will be totally worth it with what I paid for it. 

So stay tuned for the next installment when I start adding parts, and getting her back up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment