Saturday, April 21, 2012

What Kind Of Motorcycle Guy Am I?

I was daydreaming like I usually do, and thought to myself, "What kind of motorcycle guy am I?"  This is pure speculation due to a number of reasons.  First, I can't ride a bicycle that well, so I am pretty sure that I would be terrible on a motorcycle.  Second, when I was born my Mother only had a few lifetime rules for me.  No tattoos, no banjos (seriously she hates banjos), and no motorcycles.  But I do think motorcycles are cool pieces of machinery.

The first rule in my imaginary search is no Harley Davidsons.  I'm sure 99% of people are yelling, "Get a Harley!"  But I refuse to spend one red cent on the following, 1. Buying a Harley.  2.  Buying aftermarket parts for a Harley.  3.  Supporting a Harley Dealership in any way.  Why you ask?  Well, I am usually pretty honest on my blog, but I can't go into too much detail publicly.  All I will say is that, I was screwed over pretty badly by a Harley dealership, and refuse to support their business in any way.

First up is the Honda Shadow Aero.


This is one that I really dig.  It's affordable, there are lots of parts for it, and it oozes what a bike should be.  I have actually sat on one, and it is a very comfortable bike.  The only drawback for me personally is that I like buying American automobiles.  The first vehicle I bought was a 1992 Saturn.  This was back when they were 100% made in America.  So the thought of owning a Japanese bike makes me question .... well myself.  Still, I can't deny that if I were to get a bike, it would most likely be a Honda Shadow Aero.

Next up is a bike that was suggested to me by a friend.  If I wanted something to increase my indie cred, I would need an indie bike.  A vintage Triumph.




I took these pictures when I was on vacation.  Someone had a personal museum of motorcycles, including a number of Triumph Motorcycles.  I'll admit, I would dig having a classic motorcycle.  What I wouldn't dig is all the maintenance that a vintage bike would require.

There is another great bike company that is coming out with some really great products.  They have a touch of classic combines with modern engineering.  Also known as the other American Motorcycle Co., Indian Motorcycles.


They are American, beautiful, tough, and just an overall great bike.  The only problem for me would be the cost.  I can buy a house for what one of these bikes cost.  Still, if this is simply a theoretical argument, then I would definitely consider an Indian bike.

Now, if I am dreaming, or daydreaming in my case, I can't overlook the Vincent Black Shadow.


Okay maybe not that one.  All of those are in museums somewhere.  Besides, I know what Hunter S. Thompson had to say about them.

There is a fundamental difference, however, between the old Vincents and the new breed of superbikes. If you rode the Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die. That is why there are not many life members of the Vincent Black Shadow Society.

But the good news is that they are making a new Vincent Black Shadow.


But again, if I thought the Indian was expensive, I don't even want to know the cost of one of these bikes.  Still, it is pretty badass while keeping a ton of indie street cred.  This bike is so nice, I don't even know if I would want to put it on the street.  But that would kind of defeat the purpose of getting one.

Now that I think about it.... This is a pretty deep daydream.  I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about motorcycles, but I do know I like them.  I think it's in the same vein of someone who likes guitars, but doesn't know how to play.  They may not know what a chord is, but they know that they like the music. 

So I know I won't be able to get a motorcycle any time soon, but I can always daydream, and I can always blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment