Monday, July 1, 2019

Philmont 2019: Day 38, Trouble

As I write this blog post I know it will only be me viewing it.  Well, at least for a while.  I ended up having to lock down both my Facebook and this blog.  Frankly, it came down to a few things.  Philmont is a small (base) camp surrounded by an even smaller town.  Anything that I posted could be read or repeated around the ranch.

I had the Director of Camping tell me he read one of my posts, and was "extremely disappointed" in me for what I had written.  So I had to do the extreme action of making every post I've ever written private.  It also privatized my photos, although I did make public the ones of my guitars and other projects.

Since this blog is full of great things you can't say at work or pretty much anywhere, I decided to make it to where only I could see it.  Now, at the end of the summer I will probably make it public again.  But for right now I foresee myself writing many posts knowing that only I will see them.

So let's get to the meat of the story.  The title says it all.  Trouble.  I got in serious trouble for my stories and ideas that I submitted to the Phil-News.  In case you missed it, the following blog link says everything.

Philmont 2019: Day 24, My Articles/Ideas That Did Not Get Posted In The Phil-News 

So Emily, the editor of the Phil-News turned over almost everything I sent her to my supervisor Phillip, the Associate Director of Camping, because she had problems with what I had written/said.  This from a woman who didn't know who Dr. Hunter S. Thompson was.  I mean, the man invented gonzo journalism!  How could an editor not know who he was?

So later that night on June 17th I decided to get out and socialize.  I went over the Silver Sage Staff Activities Center AKA SSSAC, or the SAC.  I tried to mingle.  It was a bit awkward and weird.  I finally ended up talking to some staffers from PTC (The Philmont Training Center.)  They said that there was going to be an ice cream social on Steve Nelson's lawn.  (Note:  He's the Director of Camping.)

They asked me if I wanted to tag along, and I said sure.  I said we could stop by my office, and I could show them my instruments.  We stayed in my office around 10 minutes playing my different instruments, and then walked over to Steve's back yard.  There was a pretty good turnout.

While there I ran into Monica who works for News and Photo.  Monica was also the one who brought me the idea of installing the sanitary pad trash cans in the women's shower house.  I had always gotten along with Monica, and considered her somewhat of a friend.

So as we were sitting around I bought up all the ideas I had for News and Photo, and how they were shot down.  I also said I had thought up a new headline.

"Philmont Director's Secretary Finds Out She Has The Biggest Breasts At Philmont."

In a stunning development Heather (last name redacted), assistant to Camping Director Steve Nelson found out that she has the biggest breasts at Philmont.
Heather said, "I'm really quite shocked.  I thought it would have been one of the girls in Backcountry Warehouse or the Post Office.  I never would have imagined that the Secretary to the main boss would have the biggest breasts."

So my article would have gone something like that.  Monica however did not find it funny.  Both her and Emily went to my boss Phillip, and complained that what I was doing was sexual harassment and/or inappropriate behavior.  

So I got dragged into the office and told what I considered my humor was not appropriate, and if I did something like that again I would be leaving Philmont.  

I said to my boss, "But isn't it true that Heather does have the biggest breasts at Philmont?  I mean, she's secretary to the big cheese.  You don't find that a bit ironic?  It's like in that Tom Hanks movie, "Charlie Wilson's War."  Wilson said, "You can teach them to type.  You can't teach them to grow big tits."

It was at that point I was called "a misogynist."  Also, I was told that the comment about the Cottonwood trees was in no way appropriate.  I asked my boss if he had ever heard of, "The Onion."  He said he had, but it still wasn't appropriate.  

I also asked if he had "Ever heard of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson?"  My boss said he wasn't familiar with him, but anything in his style was still inappropriate.  

So my boss ended up writing me up.  I was able to write a response to being written up.  I said that, "I was bouncing ideas from a writer to an editor.  Never once did Emily ask for me to stop, shut up, or leave.  She never once said she was uncomfortable with what I saying."

As for Monica, I said, "I was talking to her like a friend.  I was joking.  I don't understand if this bothered her, why she didn't say something to me?"

Emily had also said that I had called my staff stupid.  That was a total lie.  I wrote, "I have the utmost respect for me staff.  My staff are my family, and I have never called them stupid."

So now I can't talk to anyone at News and Photo.  Actually, Phillip said I could, but I'm not taking that chance.  I'm still angry, and I don't want to say something inappropriate.  Let's be honest.  I came dang close to losing my job.  I came real close.  So I have nothing to say to the lot of them.  

What's bad is I still need for my crew to have the crew photo(s) taken.  I've had my 2nd in command, Karen, call News and Photo, but they haven't returned her calls.  Karen says they've been busy.  I don't know if that's true or not.  All I know is I'm not sure if Base Camp Services will ever get their photos taken.  

And there's one thing that really bugs me.  Do you know the one thing that really gets under my skin?  Emily sent my boss Phillip everything I sent except the soup recipe.  That's right.  She neglected to send the soup recipe.  I guess it doesn't matter because she never bothered to publish that either.    

I honestly thought about leaving Philmont that afternoon.  I was ready to pack all my things and leave.  I was planning on dropping off my keys at the front office, walking out, and start making my way back home.  

I decided to go talk to one of Philmont's doctors.  A doctor by the name of John had helped me out before, so I went and talked to him.  I was worried about leaving because that would be a financial death sentence for me.  I had spent a good deal of money to drive over to Philmont, I still hadn't financially recovered from that.  

So I decided to stay.  But honestly, I haven't been social.  I have pretty much given up being social.  I will talk to a few people here and there, but I haven't hung out with anyone.  I haven't gone on any adventures with anyone.  I've just continued to do my job, and do it well.  Other than that I have stayed in my office.  

Maybe I'll find a person or a group to hang out with?  I'll admit, I can't predict the future.  But humans tend to be creatures of habit.  And this human in particular sticks to his habits and routines.  All I can keep doing is making sure that my crew and I perform our jobs well.  Anything else is just extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment