Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Titus Andromedon Vs. The Ramones: Who Ya Got?

I haven't written one of these types of posts in a while.  Since I've been a better musician I have been able to pick out songs that at first may seen different, but are actually very similar.  That's a nice way of saying someone used the base chords and rhythm of one song to write another.

One night I was feeling crappy and just couldn't take watching another gritty movie or TV show.  I had heard things about Netflix's "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt."  So I started watching it, and found myself really liking it.

In one episode, (minimum spoilers) Titus Andromeda sings a song called "Boobs in California."  Here's Titus singing the song:


And here's the video from the show:


It's so darn catchy that I had it stuck in my head for a few days.  That's when it occurred to me that it sounded very close to another song I knew.  "Indian Giver" by The Ramones.




Now it's not a perfect match.  I checked the Circle of Fifths and "Boobs in California" is in the key of G.  While "Indian Giver" is just one over in the key of D.

In other words, "Boobs in California's" main chords are, D G, and A minor."  "Indian Giver" uses chords of D, A, and G.  If you are confused, please use this handy guide to the Circle of Fifths.

https://letsmakemusictogether.blogspot.com/2012/02/cool-way-to-memorize-circle-of-fifths.html

But it's not just the chords, it's also overall rhythm of the song.  Either way, I like them both.  I'll admit, they are both earworms.  I'll also admit, I can't wait until "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's" fourth season.

No comments:

Post a Comment