Friday, June 23, 2017

Destruction For Guitars: Tinfoil Hat Edition

A few years back there was an episode of, "The Simpsons" where Bart believes that Major League Baseball is transmitting signals into the brains of Springfield's residents.  The episode is called, "Brother's little helper."  Here's the Wiki page for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother%27s_Little_Helper

I recently found myself in a similar situation.  However, this time I believe that Fender Musical Instruments Corp. is stealing ideas directly from my brain.  I know, it sounds ridiculous, but because of something that has happened to me recently, I have to wonder.

Here's what happened.  I planned on putting together a short run of 30 guitars to sell on Reverb.com.  I wanted to build/put out a Stratocaster style guitar that Fender doesn't have in its line-up.  I drew up all the specs I wanted.  I crunched the numbers.  I had all the distributors planned out.  And then, I received an e-mail from Fender proclaiming their new, exciting Fender Deluxe Stratocaster.  This is what they had come out with:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratDSMSBT

In regards to the guitars I wanted to build, I wanted to call it the Azul (Blue) series.  All 30 guitars would have cobalt blue colored bodies.  When I looked at the link, this was the first thing I saw:


Oh crap.  That is pretty close to the blue I was thinking about.  I also wanted the body to be made of ash.  I look at the specs.  This Fender is made of ash. 

I wanted the neck to be all maple with the old CBS style headstock. 


Ah crap.  Well, with my design my guitar would come with locking tuners. 

... Double crap.  Well, I know something that Fender won't build on a guitar that doesn't cost $1400.  They won't put a two point tremolo .....


.........  That's a two point tremolo isn't it?  Well, I wanted to put something other than generic pickups in my series.  Fender ...  Wait a minute.  They put their Noiseless series in it? 

Here's the only things they didn't put on it:

1.  I wanted a to put a white pearloid pickguard on my series.  They used a mint green on theirs.
2.  Straplocks.  Any awesome guitar needs straplocks.
3.  Q-part knobs.  I wanted to put the chrome with jewel blue knobs on my series. 
4.  I wanted my series to come with one of the cool psychedelic cases from Guitar Fetish.  Fender's guitar comes with a soft case.

When it comes down to cost, I was planning on selling my series for $699.  Fender's cost is $799.  Immediately, my first thought was, I knew couldn't compete.  My second thought was, "How did they come up with something like this at the same time I thought of it?"  Next came anger.  Then came acceptance. 

I just don't know what to do.  I mean, do I investigate this?  Do I hire a P.I.?  Or, do I just buy the damn thing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment