Sunday, January 12, 2020

Time For A New Watch

When I was fourteen years old I received my first high quality watch.  Before that, I only had watches that couldn't even last as long as the battery.  But how I received it was kind of an interesting story.  My Father and my birthdays are close together.  My Mother decided to gift him with a watch for his birthday.  She had found a great deal on a Mathey Tissot watch at our local Sears Outlet store.

Dad, however, already had a watch he liked quite a bit.  Since I was in need of a watch, it was handed over to me for my fourteenth birthday.  I was more than happy to have a decent watch.  So I ended up wearing it for the next twenty-nine years.


During the time I've owned this Mathey Tissot watch I've had about five watch bands for it, as well as, a number of batteries.  Ten years ago I opened a refrigerator at a convenience store, and the door handle caught the crown of my watch.  It ripped it completely out.  It cost quite a bit to get it repaired, but I paid the price to bring it back to life.  Unfortunately, the new crown wasn't a perfect fit.  My watch was always hard to adjust after that.

Another time I cracked the crystal.  So once again, I paid the price to have it replaced/repaired.  I'll admit, I'm a bit rough on the crystal.  The last few years I've used my workshop buffer to buff it out.  Which works a lot better (and quicker) than I thought it would.  I've ended up buffing it out quite a bit.  It's great that I can buff it at home so I don't have to pay someone to do it.

A few weeks ago the replacement crown broke.  Once again, I was trying to adjust my watch, and the head of the crown just came off.  This time I knew my watch needed to be retired.  Unfortunately, I knew it would cost a lot more to repair this watch than it would cost to buy another one.

So it was time for a new watch.  Or at least, a moderately well priced used one.  At least I knew where to start.  My Mathey Tissot watch had worked so well for me that I decided to look for another one.  Luckily, that is what E-Bay is for.

And lucky I was.  There were quite a few watches for me to choose from.  Mathey Tissot makes a few high end watch models, as well as, a few more affordable models.  I focused on the used, more affordable models.  I picked three watches for my "cutdown" list.  But one watch stood out from the three, and I bought it.



I have to say, I love it.  It looks even better in person than it does in the photos.  I might end up replacing the watch band, as I don't care for the kind that it came with it.  Otherwise, it's exactly what I was hoping for in a watch.  Secretly, I am hoping that I can get twenty-nine years out of this Mattey Tissot watch.  It could happen.  Although, I have to make sure not to rip out the crown again.

No comments:

Post a Comment