Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Fault In This Movie

I'll be honest.  I've been debating whether or not to write a blog about the movie, "The Fault In Our Stars" for about two years.  I really do like the movie, and I have to say it really touched me.  But there was one thing about it that made it more fiction than drama.

It all has to do with this scene early on in the movie.


Here's the exchange that made me throw up my hands, and say, "Okay, that's just too out there."

Hazel:  "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Augustus:  "Because you're beautiful."

That's the moment my BS meter hit the fan.  You see, during my teenage years I went to school with lots of other males.  And you know what?  Absolutely no teenage male has that kind of game.  As any female teen will tell you, boys are gross.  And they continue to be gross for quite a while.  It usually takes males a few decades to chill out and have what you would call "game."

You know what would happen in real life if Augustus said that to Hazel?  This:


Yeah, she wouldn't have bought that line.  Not one bit. 

Again, I do want to say that I do like the movie.  But, I have to admit it's a little more fiction than any film with giant dragons.  And that's okay.  It's just the sheer amount of suaveness that Augustus had really kept me from believing his character. 

This got under my skin so much, I decided to do an experiment.  I would say that exact line to a few women, and see what their reaction was.

Victim #1 was a woman who worked at the restaurant near Erwin.  Here's how it went.

Adrian:  "You know why I'm staring at you?"

V#1:  "No."

Adrian:  "Because you're beautiful."  (Said while pointing at her.)

V#1.  "Awe..." 

Adrian:  "Okay, I have to be honest, I totally ripped that off of, "The Fault In Our Stars."

V#1.  "Awe... I love that movie!"

Okay, so that didn't quite go the way I expected to.  I kind of expected to get slapped, or maybe even looked at like I was an axe murderer.  I didn't expect that.  But in all fairness V#1 had known me for a few months.  So I tried it on Victim #2.  She also worked at the restaurant.  I also waited a few weeks to use the line on her.

Adrian:  "Do you know why I'm staring at you?"

V#2.  "No?"

Adrian:  "Because you're beautiful."

V#2.  (Starts laughing uncontrollably.)  She finally yells out, "What?"

Okay that one failed pretty spectacularly.  Or maybe, it turned out exactly like I thought it would in real life.  I don't know. 

So I was supposed to try it out on Victim #3, but I just couldn't do it.  It's just so ridiculously stupid.  So, that was the end of my little experiment. 

I feel better after writing all this out.  Like I said, I've been debating on whether to write this as a blog for about two years.  But I think it kind of fits in with some of my old blogs, in that, it's about some of the silly stuff I've encountered in my day to day life.  Without doubt, this bordered on the absurd. 


No comments:

Post a Comment