This leads me to the back yard. When the house was built, there was small batch of palmettos on the back right side of the property. Over the years these palmettos have gotten out of control. I try to drive by on the mower, and they do their best to cut me as I go by. I cut them back every so often, but after twenty-some years, they have gotten massive.
This also lead to another problem. Since they were so thick, anything and everything that fell in there just piled up. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Dead leaves. Mostly from the oak trees above.
- Dead palm fronds. (I could literally knock them down with my rake.)
- Dead tree branches.
- A huge number of pine needles.
- Small trees that somehow made it through the mess. (Camphor and Cherry trees.)
- Garbage that was thrown off the road.
- More vines.
- Vines that manage to make it all the way up into the oak trees.
- Vines that have roots that stretch at least forty feet.