Saturday, April 22, 2017

Not So Special

I grew up in the 1980's, and I love 80's music.  As such, I also love listening to Sirius XM's 80's on 8 channel.  It takes me back to not only what we think of 80's music (the MTV pop years,) but the deep tracks as well.

I was listening to the 80's on 8 when I heard it.  One of the few songs I really hated from the 80's.  It's called, "Second Chance."  It has to be one of the whiniest, suckiest songs I've ever heard.  The worst part was that it was so overplayed back then.  They must have played it twice an hour every hour for months.  It was just awful.

But the one thing I never knew, or cared to find out, was who actually sang it.  The good thing about Sirius XM is that, it tells you the song, artist and sometimes the year.  I look over to the dashboard and see, "Second Chance..... .38 Special???" 



I think, "That can't be right?  .38 Special would never sing that song in a million years."  These are the, "Hang on loosely" guys.  Also known as the "Caught up in you" guys.  This is a band with Donnie Van Zant (brother of Ronnie Van Zant.)  These guys are Southern Rock.  What are they doing singing this song?

So I had to search the internet.  I didn't like what I found.  Namely, I found this:


I also found out that this was their biggest hit.  "Hold on loosely" peaked at #27 on the Billboard 200.  "Caught up in you" peaked at #10.  But "Second Chance" peaked at #6 on the Top 200.  It was actually #1 on the Adult Contemporary, and #2 on the Rock charts. 

I have to say, all this info really blew my mind.  But then, my mind was going to be blown up even more.  Let me take you all the way back to 1986-1987.  You see, back then when you had HBO, and or Showtime, you only had one channel.  You didn't have 14 different HBO's or 14 Showtimes.  You didn't have "On Demand."  You had one channel.

We had Showtime, and during the day they would show the cheapest, newest movies they could.  They played the movie "Revenge of the Nerds 2: Back to Paradise" every day, two or three times a day for about a year.  I am ashamed to admit just how many times I have seen that movie.  So what does this have to do with .38 Special?  Well, the theme to "Revenge of the Nerds 2: Back to Paradise" was a song called, "Back to Paradise."  Guess who I found out sang that?


That's right.  .38 Special. 

If you think I'm making any of this up, please feel free to view the following resources.

Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Special_(band)

Music VF:  http://www.musicvf.com/38+Special.art

I hate to sound like a hipster, but stick to their early work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment