Friday, January 13, 2017

The Glass


One of the first philosophical questions we ask children is, "Is the glass half full or half empty?"  It's one way to simply gauge whether someone is a pessimist or an optimist. 

Another philosopher came along and said, "It's doesn't matter.  It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty.  Because the glass can always be refilled." 

A person that thinks that way may be the utmost optimist on the planet.  They might also be a bit of a realist.  However, great minds like that are way smarter than myself.  I wouldn't even try to define them.  So I will move on.

Then I (Adrian) came around and destroyed the glass.  I smashed it against the wall.  Now the glass is neither half full nor half empty.  It is destroyed, and therefore can't hold any water.  It is now shards, and can not hold water anymore. 

It once was a useful thing.  It simply was something, and now it's not.  For it has been destroyed, never to be used again.  Now I, (Adrian) have no water.  I do not even have a container for water.  I have nothing.  I will never have that glass again.

The optimist will say, "You can always acquire another glass."  And that is true.  But it will never be that glass.  That glass will never be available to you again.  For it has been destroyed, and doesn't exist anymore.  It will never be within reach again.

By now the reader is pretty sure I am not talking specifically about a glass.  I am referring to people, places, things, and ideas that have been destroyed.  Today I learnt a lesson on just how long destruction lasts.

And I think to myself, "That's pretty hypocritical for a guy who entitled his blog, "Destruction for Fun and Profit."

No comments:

Post a Comment