Thursday, March 24, 2016

A Line In The Sand Of Life

Today I made the decision to change my life.  I know that sounds dramatic, but I believe this will change everything.  So far, education has not been good to me.  I received both my A.A. and B.A. from HCC and USF, but I haven't really done anything with them.  I received my Luthier's Certification, and realized that if I want to build guitars I should live in Korea.  I then decided to get a Truck Driving Certification, and then found out they don't want anymore drivers from Florida.  Namely, look at any company on the East Coast, and you will see that half their drivers are from Florida so they don't need anymore.

So what job can I do that I can make a lot of money, can stay in Florida, and will never go out of style in Florida?  HVAC.  That's heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.  I decided to go down to the Employ Florida building, and talk to some people.

I already knew about the HVAC program at Erwin Vo. Tech.  I just wanted to know what they thought of it.  They said that it was the way to go, and a lot cheaper than the for-profit schools.  Something that I didn't know, and was glad to find out is that, I am eligible for financial help/ scholarship.  In fact, they may pay for all my schooling. 

The new semester for the HVAC class starts in January of 2017, so I got the early jump on it.  The tough news is that, the class lasts for 15 months.  So I will have to find a new job that will mesh with school.  I hate to give up my maintenance gig, but I have to look at the long term.

The good news is that Erwin Vo. Tech has job placement.  I was worried since so many of the HVAC job ads I've seen want two years experience or more.  But I'll be glad to finally get a career that actually pays a livable wage.  That, and I will be able to stay in the bay area.  The one thing I hated about truck driving is that, I had to go out of state to drive. 

So this is about drawing a line in the sand.  About finally being able to make a living wage, and get my life together.  Also, not just about having a job, but having a career.


No comments:

Post a Comment