Thursday, May 8, 2014

I'm Not Sure How I Feel About The Angel's Trumpet In My Yard

Before I get started, let me be clear.  I am not picking on God's Angels or their trumpets.  I'm not even picking on the California Angels or whatever they're called these days.



No, this is about a plant.  Not only is it kind of a dick plant, it's poisonous as hell.  I'm talking about the Angel's Trumpet in our yard.


It all started about three years ago.  This plant was about head high.  When I would mow the lawn, the leaves would smack me in the head.  But I was told to be patient.  You see, the freeze of the winter would kill it off.  Well, simply put, it didn't happen.  It grew, and then it grew some more.

And then I was told the same thing the next year.  The freeze would have to kill it.  But, thanks to climate change or the plant just being hardheaded, it didn't freeze or die.  It kept growing.  In fact, let me show you a better picture of what it looks like now.




You may not be able to tell from the picture, but that fence behind the Angel's Trumpet is about four foot high.  Where the Trumpet is almost touching the tree is at least ten foot high.  This really is the little plant that could.

So once it got so tall that it seemed that nothing was going to kill it, I was able to cut the growth underneath it.  Namely so I could run the lawnmower underneath it without getting my head smacked. 

Then a few things happened to me.  Spring rolled around, and these massive blooms started popping up.





I don't think I had ever seen a flower that was almost a foot long.  I mean, they really hang out there.  That's when Dad told me that's the Angel's Trumpet that all the cool, er, dead kids like to take to make hallucinogens.  The plant is insanely poisonous, and that's why the kids trip balls when they take it.  It also has a side effect of death.  Seriously, it wasn't too long before Dad told me what that plant was, a kid on the news died from taking one. 

So I have to respect a plant that just won't die.  But I hate having a giant plant that some people misuse to trip balls and die.  I just don't know how I feel about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment