Saturday, November 16, 2013

Donkey?

I've been a hunter for a while.  So while I know about the different types of game that get hunted across the U.S., I like watching the hunting shows to learn about techniques and hunting on other continents.  However, I just learned something that I had never heard about from shows or other hunters.  In fact, I can't believe that I just found out about this.  It seems there are a bunch of feral donkeys in Australia, and that you are now allowed to hunt them.

Honestly, I didn't believe it at first.  I thought it was one of those internet rumors that go around.  However, Wikipedia had this to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_donkeys_in_Australia

The short version is there are 5 million feral donkeys in Australia.  Wow.  Most people, as well as myself, are used to donkeys being used as beasts of burden. 


Despite their being regarded as stupid, it seems that donkeys can survive in the wild just fine.  Even in a foreign habitat, they have built up strong numbers.


But let me get back to the hunting part.  It presents a lot of questions.  Are they hard to track, or are they too stupid to know if someone is stalking or shooting at them?  If you shoot one, do you have it mounted on the wall?  If you do, will your friends make fun of you?  If you've ever been near an Australian you know that's a valid question. 

One last thing.  Hunting is all about shooting game for food.  I mean, you can eat a donkey, but I bet it tastes like ass.



No comments:

Post a Comment