Monday, January 2, 2012

Wild Turkey

When I was on vacation in 2009, I managed to get some great film of some wild turkeys on my Uncle Wallace's property.  Him and a lot of my relatives live in West Virginia so there are a lot of animals running around.

When I first saw the turkeys I was at least 200 yards away from them.  Luckily, the camera I was using has an exceptional zoom on it.  You can hear me talking to my Dad in this clip.


Generally turkeys spook very easily so they won't let you get that close to them.  I figured, hey, what did I have to lose by trying to get a closer shot?  So I moved in for a closer view.  I think I was about 100 yards from them at this point.


At this point, it kind of surprised me that they hadn't taken off in flight.  So I figured I push my luck, and get even closer.  You can hear me say that I was within shooting distance.  And I was.  I was within 50 yards at this point.  You can make out the turkeys very clearly at this point.



Generally when I am trading stories with other folks, I always have to take what they are saying with a grain of salt.  But it also works the other way.  I know they wonder how far I am stretching my tales.  However, I was really glad to get these turkeys on tape so I can back up this tall tale. 

I do wonder, however, if I were to try getting that close to the turkeys during hunting season, just how close would I really get?

No comments:

Post a Comment