Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mad Hatter

Everyone knows that my hat is kind of a part of me.  I mean, I've had it for over 10 years.  However, due to it's age it needed some maintenance.  The idea that it needed some care was brought to me by my friends Mistie and Michelle.  They do sewing and such so they know their leather.  It kind of went down like this:

M+M:  Your hat is kind of dried out.

Adrian:  Yes, it's what's called a "Vintage look.  You know, it's kind of worn in."

M+M:  No, the leather needs some Mink Oil.

Adrian:  Aren't minks protected?  I mean, what would I have to do?  Strangle a mink.

M+M:  (Dueling dirty looks.)  Ok, smartass, use nead or neadsfoot oil. 

So here's the hat before:



And here's the Neadsfoot Oil:




And here is the hat after being oiled up:




Unfortunately in the pictures you can't really tell a difference.  But in real life, it looks much, much blacker.  The edges of the hat were being to turn into a faded brown.  Now the color is much more even, and the hat is softer.  It's definitely not as stiff as it was.  Now I have to let it dry for a few days. 

I do have to admit that it was extremely dry.  I poured the oil straight on the hat, and it was just soaking up the oil.  I do want to say that I really gave it a very liberal coat of oil.  It hadn't had any in ten years so I figure I am making up for lost time.  I hope that my hat will now last me another 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment