Monday, September 18, 2017

The Best That I Can Do

I was listening to the 80's on Sirius XM's Channel 8 when they had this week's countdown from 1981.  It was neat to hear the Rolling Stone's "Start Me Up," and other great songs on the top of the countdown.  It was then that one song came on that really took me back.

It was a song by Christopher Cross called, "The Theme from Arthur (The Best That You Can Do.)"  You may know it by the great lyrics from the chorus.

When you get caught between the Moon and New York City
I know it's crazy, but it's true
If you get caught between the Moon and New York City
The best that you can do
The best that you can do is fall in love




When I was a kid the day care I went to would take us on weekly trips to Skate Odyssey, the neighborhood skating rink.


While we were there, the DJ would change it up and have a "friend's only" skate.  So you had to find a partner and hold hands while trying to skate.  Honestly, I was never that good at it.  It took me a few years to be able to skate really well.



But during these, "friend's only" skates they would play a slower ballad.  One of the songs they would play was, "Arthur's theme."  When I heard it play on Sirius XM it really took me back to my childhood.  Still after all these years it's an amazing song.

On a side note, you may have missed a Christopher Cross reference on the TV show, "Family Guy."  When Peter's son is in trouble he calls out his full name, "Christopher Cross Griffin!"  That's right, Chris is named after Christopher Cross the singer.



No comments:

Post a Comment