(Broken) Pawn Shop Guitars, The Epiphone AJ-1-NA, Part 1
In Part 1 I had glued the headstock back onto the neck. While the gluing process worked out fine, there was another problem. When the headstock broke it blew out wood chips on the surface. So I had to fill them in. This is what the headstock looked like after being glued back together.
I used a Gibson lacquer pen to color in the black parts. I then filled the crack with C.A. glue. Normally I would use some sort of lacquer, but I wanted the glue to seal the exposed wood, not to mention fill the crack.
In these two pictures I took steel wool to the glue to even it out. Normally I would use sandpaper, but I didn't want to take a chance of going through the black overlay. Basically I just smoothed it down until I could take it to the buffer.
The fretboard really needed cleaned up so I used the same steel wool on it. It really cleaned it up nicely. I also removed the grime from the frets so they ended up looking nice. I used my straight edges to check the various frets. They were in good shape. After examining the frets I'm pretty sure someone has fret-dressed this guitar before.
One thing I didn't like was that the guitar seemed to have a weird film on it. I believe it was tobacco film from a smoker. I tried using my Ken Smith polish, but that stuff wasn't coming off.