Sunday, December 15, 2013

New Broken Amp Day, Part 4

Here are the previous parts of this post:

Part 1. 
http://angjellockheart.blogspot.com/2013/11/new-broken-amp-day.html

Part 2.
http://angjellockheart.blogspot.com/2013/11/new-broken-amp-day-part-2.html

Part 3.
http://angjellockheart.blogspot.com/2013/11/new-broken-amp-day-part-3.html


Well, here's what happened so far.  I bought some Electro Harmonix tubes for the amp.  After putting them in, and making sure the amp's switch was put to EL-34, I fired it up.  Shockingly, I actually got guitar sounds out of it.  But I also got a loud humming.  At this point I knew I had gone as far as I could with this amp.  It was time to take it to a pro.

I took it down to Diversified Audio where they discovered that the tube sockets needed reseated and soddered.  They also biased the amp to fit the new tubes.

So here's the rundown so far.

$90 - Amp
$15 - Gas and Tolls to go get the amp
$100 - Tubes and handle
$7 - Fuses and washers
$107 - Repair costs
$4 - Silver/metal polish

Total cost - $323

But here's the main question, what does it sound like?  It sounds awesome.  It is brighter than I thought it would be, has a touch of compression, and sounds like a high end amp should. 

On a side note, I decided to go with a "hard" tube quartet.  That means that the tubes won't overdrive as easily.  But there is a method to my madness.  This amp has so much gain on tap that it makes it more usable if I were to use tubes that won't distort as quickly.  It spaces out the gain more evenly. 

I haven't gotten to play it much, but I plan on taking it outside and really cranking it up. 

Here's the picture of it after all the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment