Thursday, November 8, 2012

That's Not A Cauldron

Years ago I was a little more active in my Pagan community.  I was reading my books and assembling all my working tools.  However, a few things can be hard to come by.  That's why they have Pagan/ Wiccan/ New Age shops.  They will carry all those hard to find books and tools.  However, they will cost you a pretty penny.

The hardest thing I was having trouble getting was a cauldron.  They had these very tiny ones made of real cast iron that I would have liked having.  Unfortunately, they were $40 a piece.  I didn't exactly have much money, much less $40 to burn.  So I did the next best thing.  I went to the flea market.

Ah yes, the flea market.  You never know what you will find.  At the Big Top Flea Market on Fowler Ave. there's this longtime dealer who deals in furniture and household items.  He has a nice mix of vintage and modern items.  Dad liked to browse though he vintage glassware for a while, so I was wandering around looking at all the household items.  (Sidenote:  This dealer has the biggest unit on the property.  It's about 10 times at big as any other spot.  The cabinets and stuff do take up a lot of room, so that's why he needs so much space.) 

Anyway, I was wandering around when I saw it.  My cauldron.  It was only $7.  So I took it up to the dealer, and he said he could sell it to me for $6.  That worked for me.  Then he asked me a strange question.  He asked, "Did I chew?" 

I was like, "Chew what?"

He said, "Tobacco."

I asked, "Why would you ask me that?"

To which he replied, "Because you're buy a spittoon."

This was my cauldron:


I told him, "It looked like a cauldron to me, and no, I didn't chew tobacco.  Only bubble gum."

But there you have it.  My cauldron for all these years is a vintage spittoon made for tobacco chewing.  I don't know if that makes me a bad Pagan, or just an idiot.  Maybe it just makes me cheap.  I mean, it was $6.

No comments:

Post a Comment