Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Rise of the Phoenix .... Guitar

Here's a previous post so you know what I am talking about:

http://angjellockheart.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-am-terrible-luthier-but-im-working-on.html

Basically, I am trying to bring back a guitar from the dead  (The guitar known as Project 5.)  A guitar that I happened to screw up, but am now in the process of fixing my F-ups.  So far it's going great.  In the last post you can see how Dad made a plug for  the hole in the back.  After the glue had dried, I ground down the big part of the plug, and then used a hand planer to make it all smooth.  Here's the picture:


Right now I am in the process of adding polyurethane to blend in the wood.  It's going pretty good so far.

The other main problem I had was the truss rod blowing through the back of the neck.  I put a patch on it, and shaped it into place.  It's also looking good, and I'm putting a finish on the back of the neck.  Here's the photos:



Before I started going too crazy with the poly, I wanted to make sure my patch would hold.  I still had the old strings hanging lose on the guitar, so I tightened them up.  Great news, the neck held.  I ended up playing her for about 10 minutes, and it was great.  Except for where the strings had time to rust over the last year and a half.  That wasn't too fun.  

So I am very happy with the way things are going.  I'm not sure how much poly still has to go on the neck, but I think it's close to being finished.  Stay tuned for the next blog where hopefully I will be able to show the guitar in it's completed state.  Oh, and also put some new strings on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment