Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Adrian's Insane Violin Project, Part 3

Little by little I have been working on my strange violin.  In my last violin post, I was working on carving out the inside of the backplate.  I have it just about where I want it.


I have smoothed it out a little more since this picture was taken.  But you get the idea, the shape is really coming along.

Here is the rough shape of the Adirondack Red Spruce top after it was cut out on the bandsaw.


After a lot of work, we will fast-forward to what the top plate looks like in the hands of me!



That's a lot of work.  Luckily, the spruce cuts a lot easier than the black walnut did.  So now it's time to cut out the underside.


I used my dremel tool to cut out the inside to save time.  I then use my hand planes to smooth it down to the required thickness.

Here's a closer look at the inside.  You can see the depth marks (they are the small holes.)



Finally, I will show the top and back plates side by side.



There's still a lot of work to do on the top plate, but it is coming along nicely.  I just hope it sounds good after I put in all this hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment