Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Getting Hired Is Kind Of Like The Movie "Highlander"

"In the end there can be only one!"  If you've seen any of the Highlander movies or the TV show you know that's the catchphrase.  It is also very true of trying to be hired at Con-Way/ CFI.  Here's what's happened so far:


Funny, I don't feel Scotish. 


There were supposed to be 16 people in my class.  8 were told not to show up because they did not qualify.  That brings the new total to 8.  Somehow, only 6 made it to the hotel.  So then, on the first day of class we are told we are not hired yet.  No one has a contract.  Maybe only half of us will be hired.  We were flat out told that out of every 200 applications, Con-Way would hire 5 drivers. 

Truthfully, I was not feeling good about this.  Today, another driver got the axe due to a recent accident.  Now the class total is down to 5.  Now, I'm really not feeling good about this.  The instructor said he liked me, and that I was more intelligent than the usual dumb asses that come through there.  However, that doesn't guarantee anything.

Tomorrow is the driving and backing test.  It will be the first time I will drive a 13 speed semi truck.  Our instructor said that only one person has failed the driving (road) test in three years.  So I figure as long as I take it easy, and don't hit anyone I am safe.  I'm not too worried about the backing as I am usually pretty good at backing on a backing course.  Usually all the dimensions are the same, and it's like backing into the same dock every time. 

In the end I just want to be able to work for a good company.  I also want a big, red shiny Kenworth.


No comments:

Post a Comment