Monday, August 22, 2011

Adrian Visits Rock City Gardens, Part 1

When I was in Chattanooga I decided I needed to take a long walk or do something to take my mind off things for a while.  I had been to the Aquarium.  I had been to Ruby Falls.  I even went up and down the Incline Railway.  But I hadn't been to Rock City Gardens.  I'd always seen the advertising signs for it, but didn't know much about it.  But I thought, "What the hay, I might as well see it while I'm here."

Rock City Gardens is located just 6 miles from Chattanooga on Lookout Mountain, Ga.  For the website, go to www.seerockcity.com .  So as not to commit a copyright crime, here is the Rock City story from the Rock City website:  http://www.seerockcity.com/pages/Our-Story/ .  I will tell the story of my visit through pictures. 

When I first walked up to the ticket booth, I saw a magnolia tree.  At the old house we had a huge one right in the front yard.  Since then I have always liked them.  So I took a picture of one of the flowers on it.


When I took a closer look, there was a honeybee inside the flower.  He was just going to town on the pollen.



Here is the entrance.



Once inside the entrance there is a little stream that flows along the path.



When you enter they give you a very nice map that tells you the names and places of all the structures.  The first one is called the Grand Corridor.








Next up was the Needles Eye.  It's one of those things that kids will love as they can run though it with no problem.  However, adults will have to squeeze though.  Oh, and that's not the first of these that are in the park.



Once you go through the Needles Eye, this is what it looks like.



Next up comes Gnome Valley.  One thing I was beginning to notice was that someone had a serious Gnome fetish.










I have to say, the stone pathways were really nice.





Mushroom Rock?  I wonder how it got it's name?



Uh-oh.  More Gnomes.


But there are Goblins as well.



One of the coolest things I ever saw was the stone trashcan.  What a novel idea.



Due to the amount of pictures I took, I will be posting my trip across Rock City over four blog posts.  More to come in, "Adrian Visits Rock City Gardens, Part 2."




No comments:

Post a Comment