Monday, April 25, 2011

A Field Full of Relatives

Last year my Girlfriend (at that time) Roxy came with me to West Virginia.  She came from a small family.  Small as in, she counted four relatives.  I don't think she understood the magnitude of the size of my family on the Long side.  At least until she visited the Long cemetery with me.  Here's a picture from two years ago of me at the Long cemetery.



Last week I visited the Adkins cemetery.  I can only think if Roxy thought the Long cemetery was big, she wouldn't believe the number of relatives in the Adkins cemetery.  Here's the thing.  If a person lives in the Tri-state area, and has the last name of Adkins, I am related to them.  No, I'm not making that up.  They may be a distant relative, but I am related to them.




I know it may be tough to see, but just about all those gravestones say Adkins on them.  There must have been over 50 gravestones with Adkins on them.  There may have been as many as 100 Adkins there.  It's kind of tough when you see that many.




We were visiting the cemetery to make sure one of our relatives graves was okay.  While we were there we also visited one of my Grandmother's sister's grave. 




A lot of people may say they have a big family, but let me show them around West Virginia.  Here's a weird fact, my sister has documented 7000 relatives with the help of the Internet.  Now, that is counting relatives both alive and dead, but you have to admit that's pretty impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment